December 31, 2012

Monday, December 31, 2012

Can you believe a whole year has passed?  And what a year it’s been!

I remember reading a general email about a teacher giving a test question to a class asking them to list the 7 Natural  Wonders of the World and one little girl took much longer than most to answer.  Instead of the standard answers, her list consisted of:  ability to see, ability to hear, ability to touch, ability to talk,  etc.  They are natural wonders that we seem to take for granted every day. Smart little girl!

At the end of each year, most people make New Year’s resolutions – I don’t bother because I never keep them anyway.  I sit down and process the past year and am always thankful for everything that has happened.

I’m thankful that I was given the inner strength to overcome the 5 month long transfusion dependent episodes early in 2012;  that in itself gave me much more appreciation for life.

I am forever grateful for amazing, supportive friends and family, being able to live in a safe environment that just happens to be beautiful (in my estimation), able to see, touch, talk, love, hear, and have all the other ‘natural’ things most of us are allowed to do on a daily basis.

I am always in awe when I see a fully lit sky (last night) from a full moon, beautiful sunsets or sunrises – just imagine the people who have never seen one – or who are in the process of losing or have lost the ability to see anymore.

I am grateful and so thankful that I don’t have to live with SEVERE PAIN each day.  I hate pain……I’m grateful for the amazing medical profession available and I think I have the best!  I know I have the absolute BEST (and cutest) Nurse/Caregiver/Dietitian/Cook all rolled in one, taking care of me here at home and when I’m in hospital.

Our daughter-in-law Lee calls us Hockey Players.  She said ‘Combined, you two are like hockey players – you seem to be able to twist, turn, skate around, and get through anything that comes your way –  acting as if it’s no problem at all.’   Bob has always been a hockey player (an athlete as he calls it) and I’m sure Hayley Weichenheiser will get no competition from me but thanks for the compliment anyway!  And yes, we seem to be able to get throughk over and around obstacles as long as we can do it together.

I have to admit there’s one old Gal living in this house that really doesn’t give a darn about any of that – unfortunately, or maybe I should say fortunately her focus is pretty narrow and limited.  To-day is the second day of increased steroid intake so she will be out in full force for sure.  She’s BRUTAL!!  To stop her antics (now she’s doing the Gangnam Style dance – NOT PRETTY TO WATCH), we had to give her the other PC Cheesecake On A Stick.  I think I preferred the regular twisting, running in circles, doing flips, etc. to the Gangnam ‘thing’.  She’s still sniffing for that Christmas Cake in the fridge……..what a gal!
  
Well folks, hope you get a chance to sit down sometime today and go back over your year to count all your blessings, good and bad.  Just remember we all learn something from bad experiences which then gives us strength to enjoy the good experiences.  There are ALWAYS people with bigger and worse problems than we have – be grateful for what we have.  We are alive and able to enjoy this great big beautiful world.

Instead of saying  ‘Have a good day’, I’m going to say HAVE A GOOD 2013! 

We sure plan to!

3 comments:

  1. Good Morning Dianne and Bob

    I read your blogs each and every day and am amazed at your fortitude. You are stronger than your body lets you know, that's for sure. You are strong in mind and spirit and that is GOLD. My wish for the two of you is to go into this new year with the same positive attitude you have always had. Go go into 2013 watching the stars come out on New Years eve and then enjoy the sunset again tommorrow morning. You have hundreds of family and friends cheering you both on. WHAT A TEAM! GO TEAM GO!!! Mike and I wish you a Happy New Year for 2013. xox Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dianne and Bob, you are two of the most amazing duo in this fight you are in. We pray for you everyday and know that you will come through the obstacles and be better or it. As Rhianna sings "Shine bright like a diamond"....which i see in your smile everytime I see you.

    Love to you both and a Happy 2013.....

    Trish & Larry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dianne and Bob after reading your blog every day and just thinking about what you say, you are an inspiration like no other. We just wish for you a healthy 2013 and we will keep you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete