December 28, 2012

Friday, December 28, 2012

When my Mom reached her later years, high 80s then into the 90s, I would suggest renting a wheelchair to make it easier for us to take her to doctor’s appointments, outings, her comment made was “I don’t want people see me sitting in something like that!”  She seemed to have a different mind-set from mine. 

I believe you do what you have to do to get by – making it easier for everyone, including yourself and the support people around you. 

So we use 2-way radios, have other set-ups arranged around the house but yesterday the BIG DADDY arrived!  Bob brought a portable chair pad from a medical supply company in Durham.  What a beautiful contraption.  It’s a cushion/seat that you can put anywhere.  Instead of having to purchase a total chair that helps to lift someone from a seated to a standing position (which are VERY expensive and sometimes big and ugly), this is portable and fits a chair of any size.

We originally thought we would transfer it from office chair to my lovely lazy-z-boy that I use a lot, situated in the office but decided it was a bit too heavy for me to move so we are leaving it on my comfortable chair.

So….if and when I move to my chair in the middle of the night, I can lift myself up to a standing position and don’t have to get Bob out of deep sleep to help me – problem solved.  We have named it Robbie Rocket!  For another ‘aid’, did I mention Depends come in colour?  Mine are peach…………….I don’t wear them when I figure skate (like in the commercials) but they work and that’s all that matters.

MM (Munching Myrtle) is sticking her head out the pantry door (it’s 6:30 am), guess we woke her up.   She’s yawning, probably thinking of the fruit basket that arrived the other day – did NOT like that!  We will feed her a nice carrot muffin filled with fiber for part of her breakfast but she KNOWS there is an awesome Christmas Cake sitting in the fridge and SHE WANTS A BIG PIECE OF THAT!!!!!    She knows it’s covered in Brandy but we will wait until later in the day to give her a piece because we don’t want a DRUNK Munching Myrtle running around.  We have enough trouble controlling her now, just can’t imagine trying it when she’s under the influence.  YIKES!!

I am sitting in the Living Room writing this on my laptop and my sweetheart is sitting in his favourite chair watching his favourite sport – hockey, the World Junior Hockey Championship and is happy like crazy that Canada just won their game.

Life is good – we look forward to having a good day.  Hope you do too.

2 comments:

  1. Leaving in a few hours now, stay well and I will catch up to you when we get to Fla. in a few days. Love and BIG HUGS, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hay Dianne......the things that make you go hmmmmmm.......you don't skate when you wear them......I don't figure skate unless I wear them.......L.McRig

    ReplyDelete