December 20, 2012

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Good morning.

Grand River was desperate for beds today so gave me an ultimatum – transfer to Louise Marshall Hospital in Mount Forest, go home or settle in a ward for one night. Grand-daughter Skylar, who works on that floor, was able to keep me in a private room for this length of time and I thank her for that.  When a patient is transferred from another hospital, they have to be kept in isolation for a few days, but she was unable to prolong it for me.  That’s okay – there were scheduled emergencies coming in.

 Dr. Kilmurray thought I was stable enough that I could monitor myself but would respect whatever decision I made.  So guess what my decision was!  He met with us around 7 pm, gave me prescriptions, instructions on what to do if I ran into problems and off we went to go home. 

For as busy as he is with surgeries, office appointments and rounds at the Hospital, he NEVER gives me the impression that he is in too much of a hurry to answer questions and I do ask a lot of questions.   I respect him a lot.

We walked in the door, to the kitchen AND MYRTLE WENT NUTS!!!!!!!  Tins of goodies, candy, cookies, muffins, chocolate bars, you name it………………..sitting on the counter – from friends, relatives and even our neighbour Mennonite lady.  I think she’s going to have to fight Bob for some or most of it.  Today, we are going to work on healthier snacks but sneak a few of the ‘goodies’ in too, just to satisfy her. 

Unfortunately, because I was released early, I am missing my appointment with the Dietitian planned for 9 am, but I’m sure I will be able to figure it out.  We’ve had some dialogue already – a normal daily protein level requirement for women is in the 45-50 gram range, I calculated  mine should be in the 90 gram right now but she thought it should be even  higher while I’m trying to get healthy.  Needless information for everyone, especially Myrtle – SHE DOESN’T EVEN WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT…………….because she doesn’t care…………..but my body and I do.

Bob was at the Bell store yesterday, traded in our Bell Mobile stick and got a Hub.  I was amazed that we were able to hook it up (with phone help from nephew Gary and wife Kelly).  I was so impressed.  After  5 minutes of working, it disappeared BUT was able to figure out that it was just a teaser and that I had to enter a password for it to continue.  Then when I removed the cord from the Hub to the laptop, it disappeared again so hooked it up and a big yellow cord is extended and will be for awhile until we figure that out.  So for now it’s not a true WiFi but it works - you do what you have to do to get things done! That's always been my belief (and if you can't get through the front door, you try the side or back door before giving up.) 

I’m pretty weak so have to watch where I sit myself, especially during the night, because once I’m down I’m here for awhile.  Bob came up with a great idea – 2-way radios!  The problem is they are 4 years old, now fully charged but we lost the instructions and now have to figure out how to use them!  We will look for them later today.  With them working, he will be able to travel to the shed and away from the house – apparently they have a 4 mile radius of coverage.

So our plan for today is to catch up, settle in, be calm, work on the menu and keep that little stinker Myrtle under control – that might be the toughest challenge……………

Have a GREAT day!

3 comments:

  1. 1:22 a.m., really Dianne! That isn't resting now is it? I should talk, I have been up since 4:45 a.m. Couldn't sleep either. Well, I am so happy you are home and you MUST take it easy, promise me you will do just that! Not too many visitors, there is a nasty flu bug going around...what else is new, so... PLEASE ask everyone who plans to visit to stay away if they have any symptoms at all. I know you will. You are dong such an amazing job of taking care of yourself and your health issues. I love the idea of the walkie talkies, we use them as well. All you need to remember is to "Press" the button to talk and "Let Go" to listen. Have fun wispering sweet nothings to each other to practise today. xoxo Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are home. Linda has given you great advice. Good luck with Myrtle.
    Jackie XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dianne, so happy you got home, it was so good to see you on Wed.
    Get your strength back and have fun with your diet. Those goodies
    you might have to lock some of them away. Sound delicious.
    Walkie Talkies sound like lots of fun. God Bless you

    Love Bill, Mary and family.

    ReplyDelete