December 29, 2012

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Just a follow-up to my part of the blog on December 27th regarding our grandson Jackson’s request to Santa, asking him if he could ask a favour of God.  Later on Christmas Day, he was with wise and spiritual Grandma Matilda for their Christmas dinner.  Before dinner, Grandma said prayers, included me and asked for a special prayer of strength for Bob.  Ten year old Jackson got up, gave her a hug and said “my Grandma needs an easier path from God so when you talk to him, can you ask?”  Wise Matilda said “I will say a prayer for your grandma every day but God has the final say when he will wrap his arms of love around her”.  What a lovely answer – it pleased Jackson and it sure pleased me!  We’re sure she has a direct line to God.

I’ve always wondered about connections and why we are so drawn to certain people.

I was friends with a very special lady called Ethel for over 30 years.  She was a beautiful, spiritual lady who fought many health battles throughout her life, outlived her husband, three sons, most of her friends and lived into her 90s, always with a smile on her face.

When taking her for blood work, the odd time Jackson and his sister came with me.  For some reason, Jackson really bonded with Ethel – he was 7-8 years old when he first met her – kept looking at her with wheels turning in his head, probably wondering why he felt that way about her.  Note - Jackson was born early at 27 weeks and weighed 2 lbs. 6 ozs.  He is in our estimation, a Miracle Child.  Today, he is so healthy, plays hockey, soccer, basketball, and is a bruiser to be reckoned with!  Anyway, back to my story.

I told him that as soon as his Mother was rushed to McMaster in Hamilton and he was born, safely settled in the preemie unit, Ethel started praying for him and shared his name with her prayer group.  For a long while, Ethel said she prayed twice a day, especially for him to get strong and become part of this beautiful world.  Well, you should have seen the smile expand on HIS face – now he knew in his mind, why the special bonding was there.

At her funeral, he and his sister Lilly Mae placed hand drawn pictures in her coffin - wanted to make sure she knew they were thinking of her.  Interesting, don’t you think, that he chooses to bond with very beautiful, strong and spiritual people, especially at such a young age.

I’ve always had my ‘Inspirational’ ladies that I’ve looked up to.  From afar, I’ve admired elderly ladies from St. Clements, been fortunate to get inspiration from special Aunts, smart intelligent women friends that I enjoy having meaningful conversations with  and ‘settling the world’s problems’; also ladies like my little Ethel and Grandma Matilda and my Mom.  I love hearing their stories and their attitude on life.  It’s probably why they have lived so long!

Anyway, on to the little character who lives in this house (no, not Bob - he's a character but not little).  Munching Myrtle has been pretty good, eating what she’s been given. She’s still pouting though. I think we tricked her – last night she thought she was getting a treat when she got some rice pudding.  It tasted REAL good but I don’t think she realized the little cup had 3 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein.  She gets so darn excited when something new gets put in front of her that she doesn’t look at the label.  I guess the 5 grams of sugar seemed to satisfy her – we’re not worried about that right now, concentrating on the fiber and protein intake.  She still has her eye on the Christmas Cake in the fridge.  It’s a constant battle but we’re trying to compromise with her……………….

After an unusual day of weakness yesterday but a lot of sleep, naps and more sleeps, I woke up this morning with a heavy chest and sore throat – go figure!  I hope I’m not getting another chest infection OR the flu that seems to be going around. 

Anyway, we will see what the day will bring – hopefully a positive one!

Have a good one.

2 comments:

  1. Thank You for sharing this story about Jackson...it is indeed very touching, especially at this time of year. He must feel safe and secure enough to express his feelings in such a meaningful way, which is a credit to Derek and Sally, but also to you and Bob. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dianne, I hope and pray you do not get the flu. I don't know if this will work but maybe M.M. needs some fruit cake, just a small taste.
    Keep warm and stay strong.
    Beautiful winter wonderland Enjoy

    Love Bill and Mary

    ReplyDelete