December 19, 2012

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

FROM A FROWN TO A SMILE

We (Munching Myrtle) and I started our day with a big frown;  Myrtle, because she was waiting with anticipation for solid food and I was full of frustration, frustration and more frustration.  Well, we were still on liquids and she was getting angry.

So, I decided to have another talk with God and for some reason decided that yesterday was the day I wanted a ‘sign’ from him to see how things are going to go for me.  I never offer ultimatums to anyone, especially to God – I know they don’t work.   

Well, during the day all I seemed to get was negative feedback so thought maybe THAT was the sign.  Then, I received a card in the mail, opened it up and  the most wonderful photo of my inspiration GERRY STEMMLER fell out, looking back at me with the biggest smile on his face.  I then realized THAT WAS THE SIGN I was looking for!!!!!  So Gerry is smash dab sitting on the Communication Board looking right at me.  Thank you sister-in-law Mary for arranging and sending it to me – you saved the day!

Around 5 pm, my Doctor came in and said I could try solid food.  Thirty seconds after he left the door to my room, nurse Jeremy walked in with a hot tray – he had been standing outside the door, waiting and hoping the order would come through.  Can you believe it?   Now, that’s what I call a nurse who goes above and beyond their calling!

You should have seen Myrtle  - she almost went crazy!  She was dancing around here like a silly fool.  Me too!  I slowly ate ½ of my mashed potatoes, ½ of squash and a bit of roast turkey.  I waited 2 hours and again, slowly ate the rest.  I did make her wait for the little lemon-blueberry empty calorie dessert, and she was a happy little camper when it was all over.  That will be the last of the empty calorie anything as we are on to protein filled snacks from now on for sure.  So now we wait and see……………………..

I have to talk about my little rant for the day. 

I just read about a ‘Random Act of Kindness Day’  being celebrated.  I know Waterloo has one each year and encourages people to do extra nice things for other people and offers suggestions on how and what to do.  In the past, I would notice when I took my little senior Ethel out for lunch or appointments, the number of people who would walk in front of us, allowing the door to slam shut ahead of her while struggling with a walker!  Many times I wondered if the same men would do so if little Ethel was 30, tall, thin, blond with big 36 DD ‘you know whats’…………

An interesting observation was that the men who would hold the door for us were usually  YOUNG, in their teens or early 20’s.  I ALWAYS made a point to thank them and their mothers for raising such wonderful men with manners.  I think we should all do these things on a daily basis, not for a special day of the year.  Again, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

 A little quote from friends Ken and Pat in Florida:

“Keep your friends near to your hearts and your family even closer.” 

I agree.

Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Marge and I said the stations of the cross for you in Texas, I think it was San Jose. We said that he needed to help you get better quickly as Christmas is just around the corner. We will keep praying.

    ReplyDelete