December 17, 2012

Monday, December 17, 2012

J E L L O

There are not too many foods in this world that I almost hate and refuse to eat.  They are mincemeat pie, raisin pie, and bloodsausage.  There are also things that would not be my first choice at a buffet table and they are Jello to eat and apple juice to drink.   But today, a food tray was brought to my room with the approval of my Doctor.   It was the first bit of clear fluids/soft foods offered since Tuesday am, I just thought it was the most wonderful in the world!  I must have mentioned at least 5 times, how much I was enjoying the Jello while eating it!   It’s so interesting how much you can change your mind about things in a short time!

My mind was almost changed about nurses last night too (well not really).  I had a very humiliating experience with the help of a nurse called A.  So in order to deal with it, I made sure that I pushed the call button many times during the night, asking her to do things for me that I ALWAYS do for myself in order to save them time.  I sweetly thanked her each time and killed her with kindness.  The last request was requesting an extra blanket and she even offered a ‘warm’ blanket for me.  She sheepishly slung out of the room.  I’m not sure is slung is a word but that’s what she looked like……..

When the door to my room opened this morning and a sweet smiling regular nurse named Shannon walked in I knew my life was going to get better.  I asked her if A was a ‘real’ nurse and she wondered why I would question that.  So I told her a ‘real’ nurse has a heart and A should be in another profession.  Her response was “Well, Dianne, I’m going to make sure that you have a great day, starting now”.  I already knew that was going to happen as soon as I saw her lovely face peek in the door.

I found out later that A is not very respected but was in a rotating position because they were extremely short staffed on the floor, hopefully never to come near me again.  She really is a hazard to patients.  So tonight I have a very caring ‘real’ nurse named Csilla, typical of the wonderful care of this hospital and of all nurses.

I had my sister, niece, nephew and families drop in today on their way to the Meyer Christmas Party - lots of extra love floating around in my room for about 15 minutes, then magic hugs from two little grandchildren and their parents.  Wonderful day!

I was able to hook up with the server used by the Grand River Hospital so I will be able to settle my problems with the internet and know my emails will be received in real time instead of 4-5 days after my sending them.  I got a little giggle when I found out the cost of it - $9.95/day or $19.95 for a week!  What a small price to pay for my sanity while here and the ability to stay in touch with friends and family.

My friendly Doctor has put a stop to visitors – wants me to concentrate on getting better and focus my energy on that. 

Life is good – Jello is good and hopefully things are perking along on the upswing.  I’m feeling stronger and look forward to being home for Christmas.

Have an awesome day.

4 comments:

  1. OK...new focus. Dianne is going home for Christmas so please, no visitors! I am happy you are eating even if it's only jello. You are on the way to satisfying munching whatever and that's a good thing. As this wonderful new food hits your tummy, your body,muscles included will reward you with energy. Eat two or three of those delicious jello cups and maybe even mix up a few pretty colours and call it desert. Just do whatever it takes to get you stronger so you can enjoy your wonderful home at Christmas time, oh yes and Bob too...lol xox Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, no truer words were spoken. Dianne, take care.

    Love Trish & Larry..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ignore the nurse A. Just concentrate on getting your strength back and getting home. We are in your corner cheering you on.
    Love Doug and Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aunt Dianne just keep fighting the good fight,you are a beautiful, beautiful person and we are all pulling for you and love you. You have such a wonderful personality and you and Elaine and I need to do a girl"s night out! Keep strong, Love Alway's Val

    ReplyDelete