December 12, 2012

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

I just realized I have something sitting at the top of my screen  (I think it's called a toolbar - told you I was computer illiterate)  that says "music" - clicked on it and now have lovely classical music softly coming out of my laptop!  So nice at 5 am while I'm sitting here meditating.

Got up at 2 am after 5-1/2 hours sleep, feeling pretty good and found a sweet handsome man sitting at the dining room table working on a jig-saw puzzle so spent a few hours with him chatting and working on it until he got tired and went to bed.  As I've said before, we have an interesting night time ritual around here!

While continuing to purge and reduce clutter yesterday (and keeping my mind busy), I came across an article that said "15 Things You Should Give Up To Be Happy".  I thought "give up?" - sounds odd, but read it and it makes a lot of sense.

1.  Give up your need to always be right 
2.  Give up your need for control
3.  Give up on blame
4.  Give up your self-defeating self-talk
5.  Give up your limiting beliefs
6.  Give up complaining
7.  Give up the luxury of criticism
8.  Give up your need to impress others
9.  Give up your resistance to change
10.  Give up labels
11.  Give up on your fears
12.  Give up your excuses
13.  Give up the past
14.  Give up attachment
15.  Give up living your life to other people's expectations

Number 15 continues on to say - Way too many people are living a life that is not theirs to live.  They live their lives according to what other think is best for them, to what their friends, their enemies, their government and the media think is best for them.  They ignore their inner voice, that inner calling.  They are so busy with pleasing everybody, with living up to other people's expectations, that they lose control over their lives.  They forget what makes them happy, what they want, what they need...and eventually they forget about themselves.  You have one life - this one right now - you must live it, own it, and especially don't let other people's opinions distract you from your path.

I probably picked this article up when working at Regional Addiction & Family Counselling Center in KW way back when.  It was an interesting read and food for thought.  I always think it would be nice to learn these things at an early age rather then when we get old..........

Anyway, how do you tell a Christmas Cactus plant that it's time to bloom - how does it know that Christmas is almost here and it should be starting to show some shoots?  It looks the same as it has looked all year......................

Anyway, have a good day everyone - I intend to.

4 comments:

  1. Good Morning, I had a Christmas Cactus that bloomed in July.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I love each and everyone of the 15 things we should give up in order to be happy. Each and everyone of them make such good sense, don't they. So how is my freind feeling about writing these wonderul newsy blogs? They are so enlightening for us as the reader. Isn't fun to go through all your old papers and documents after having saved them for many years. I do that about every five years or so. Some I wonder why the heck I ever kept them and some others are a treat to find. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 12/12/12!
    Thinking of you and enjoying your post!
    Love, Bethany xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Number 1 - Is your Christmas cactus artificial or real ?????
      Love the 15 things we should give up to be happy. I'm going to steal them and put them on my Facebook.
      My cactus is blooming now,but I don't think it will last till Christmas.

      Delete