December 10, 2012

Monday, December 10th, 2012

Good morning. Feeling good, no pain - still looking for stamina and energy to overcome this low protein level theory. I learned a valuable lesson yesterday. We started out at 9 am fully intending to go to see my newfound friend Father Murray who has mass at the Ayton Church.

By the time we had a healthy breakfast (which takes time to prepare), had a shower and tried to find clothes to dress me with, I realized it was 11:05 and Mass starts at 11:00 am. It was like trying to get a 90 year old woman ready. Soooooo next Sunday we will try again but this time more planning will be involved - shower the night before, different breakfast and clothes chosen ahead of time that fit!

We then attended a nice buffet at the Golf Steak House with my siblings and their spouses. Loved it! Regarding my family, I have a story I would like to tell.

In 1989, I was at our winter home in California with my former husband Carl. He was in the late stage of his illness and we realized he did not have a long time to live and had to get back to Canada. There we were sitting with a little doxie called Lassie and a car ready to head back to Canada. Carl was going to be in the back seat and Lassie and I were supposed to drive 2,500 miles, through some major cities, etc. home! At that time, there was no such thing as a GPS and Lassie was going to be my navigator with Carl's help, of course(lol).

I called my Mother and told her my dilemena - I was scared out of my mind but would do it if I had to. A half hour passed and the phone rang - Carl said "that's your Mom calling back". It was, with the announcement that my sister Dorothy, brother-in-law George and my brother Ray were flying down to bring us home. We were stunned!!The men took navigator Lassie with them and started the trek home. I'm not sure if they had much experience driving across the United States, especially through some complicated areas to get home but off them went.

When booking direct flight tickets for Carl, Dorothy and me, American Airlines strongly suggested to pack overnight bags because if they saw one drop of blood or ANY problem, they would land the plane at the nearest airport, we would have to get off and we were on our own. We would then have to get to the nearest hospital, etc. (I don't remember if we would be charged for the landing - I don't want to even think about that!).

We did land safely in Toronto, thank God - so happy and relieved that we almost kissed the ground! Standing there was Jan with a beautiful warm and caring smile, but relieved, to greet her Dad. Days later, the men and little Lassie arrived in Canada safely.

The point of this story is FAMILY! What an awesome family I have............how many people would have offered and followed through on something like that? My heart grows every time I remember that selfless act. To me, that's what FAMILY is all about.

On the way home yesterday afternoon, we picked up some magic hugs in Waterloo from a 10 and 8 year old, dropped some photos to favourite cousins in St. Clements and drove home, listening to John Berry's beautiful Christmas music. What a delightful day..................

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story. It is especially meaningful at Christmas time. Thanks for sharing.
    Foggy and +4 in Mount Forest this morning.
    What an irony teachers stage a one day strike and it is a no-bus day in Avon Maitland.
    Enjoy your day Dianne, Your sense of humour gives me a lift every day.
    Thank you for that.
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great blog Dianne. I too believe that family is the magic of life. My family is big as you know and we are always there for each other. I know that they would do exactly what your family did for you and it's an amazing feeling to have that kind of support. I don't think you will ever want for any kind of help and am sure that you and Bob are loved so much just for being who you are. Sorry you missed church but there's always next Sunday. Want a wake up call :00 am...oh no, I forgot you have a built in bobdy clock. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose
    What i beautiful story and such a loving family. I wish my family was as loving as that.

    ReplyDelete